MS. Canonici Or. 136
Oriental Manuscripts Canonici Oriental Collection
Pentateuch with Targum Onḳelos after each verse.
Flyleaves (fols. 1 and 354) are from different Hebrew manuscript (with fragments of Psalms).
Latin notes regarding the content on front paste down.
Text in three columns. Pricking is often visible in the inner margin. Ruling is often visible.
Ashkenazi square script.
fols. 2v-11v: later completion of the missing beginning in Sepharid square script.
Flyleaves (fols. 1, 354): fragment of two sheets, early 13th-century (or earlier) Ashkenazi square script
Carmina figurata (e.g. fols. 69r, 127r, 269v, 274r, 287r)
A few geometrical micrography in the lower margins (e.g. fols. 57v, 67v, 77r)
Brown leather binding, blind-tooled.
Provenance and Acquisition
Censor's signature of Hippolitus off Ferrara on fol. 353v: "Fra Hipp[olitu]s Ferr[arens]is vidit 1601"
Matteo Luigi Canonici's (1727-1805) collections passed to his brother Giuseppe, and on his death in 1807 to Giovanni Perissinotti and Girolamo Cardina, who divided them. To the former fell the MSS., then about 3550 in number, and, after many attempts to sell them, the Bodleian became the purchaser of the greater part in 1817, for £5444 5s. 1d., or including incidental expenses about £6030, the largest single purchase ever made by the Library. The formal list of volumes handed over was signed on May 18, 1817, and the books probably arrived later that year.
MSS R.R. Film No. F 33031