MS. Canonici Or. 16
Oriental Manuscripts Canonici Oriental Collection
Obadiah Sforno's works
Printed, Bologna, 1587 (see, Ṿinograd, Bologna 8).
Hebrew inscriptions on fols. 1r and 2r
Fols. 66-67 and 224-228 are blank.
Edition with variants from this and other MSS by W. Gottlieb (Jerusalem, 1980)
Hebrew inscription on fol. 237v
Italian cursive script
Light brown leather binding.
Provenance and Acquisition
Owners' inscriptions: "יצחק אליעזר סנגויני", "שמואל סנגויני(?)" ; censors' signatures: Fra. Gir. da Durazzano 1640 (fol. 2r), Laurnaiu[s] Franguellu[s] 1575 (fol. 65v), Fra. Luigi da Bologna 1598, Cammillo Jaghel 1613 (fol. 237r), Renato da Mod[en]a 1626, 1555 ... Hac. Geraldini ... [norarized by] Ceesa Bellosus (fol. 237v)
Matteo Luigi Canonici's (1727-1805) collections passed to his brother Giuseppe, and on his death in 1807 to Giovanni Perissinotti and Girolamo Cardina, who divided them. To the former fell the MSS., then about 3550 in number, and, after many attempts to sell them, the Bodleian became the purchaser of the greater part in 1817, for £5444 5s. 1d., or including incidental expenses about £6030, the largest single purchase ever made by the Library. The formal list of volumes handed over was signed on May 18, 1817, and the books probably arrived later that year.
Digital Bodleian (full digital facsimile)
MSS R.R. Film No. F 16724