MS. Canonici Or. 41
Oriental Manuscripts Canonici Oriental Collection
Pentateuch with Hafṭarot
At the end (fols. 292r-295r), division of readings for Sabbaths and festivals in Ashkenazi hand (simane parashiyot)
Erased note in the middle of fol. 295v; partially illegible note on the top of fol. 295v: ... של אבי בין אחי[ו] ... יום ג כג תמוז שפו(?)
Main text in two columns, surrounded by masorah.
Sephardi square script.
15th-century Ashkenazi cursive script on fols. 292r-295r
On fols. 1r-81r, extensive marginal pen drawings of floral motifs, animals, hybrids, narrative scenes, by ink by later hand (17-18th century?) E.g. Binding of Isaac (fol. 40v), Jacob's ladder (fol. 41r).
Red leather binding, blind-tooled.
Provenance and Acquisition
Erased ownership inscription on fol. 1r (... Mordekhai?); ownership inscriptionד on fols. 51r, 69v: משה מרדכי .
Matteo Luigi Canonici's (1727-1805) collections passed to his brother Giuseppe, and on his death in 1807 to Giovanni Perissinotti and Girolamo Cardina, who divided them. To the former fell the MSS., then about 3550 in number, and, after many attempts to sell them, the Bodleian became the purchaser of the greater part in 1817, for £5444 5s. 1d., or including incidental expenses about £6030, the largest single purchase ever made by the Library. The formal list of volumes handed over was signed on May 18, 1817, and the books probably arrived later that year.
MSS R.R. Film No. F 33046