MS. Pococke 276
Oriental Manuscripts Pococke Collection
Miscellany of philosophical texts
Moses Ibn Tibon's translation.
According to the colophon it was written for Shlomoh ben Yehoshua
Incomplete, in the colophon, the scribe Tanḥum ben Mosheh of Beaucaire (see Sirat, p. 256) mentions six works (books)Another part of the original manuscript is in Paris, BnF (MS hèbr. 923).
Text in one column.
Sephardi semi-cursive script.
Full page decorations (fols. 40v, 56r, 56v, 57r)
Full-page illustration (fol. 40r)
Floral full and partial borders (e.g., fols. 1r, 21r, 41r, 55r, 55v)
Decoration around initial word (e.g., fols. 1v, 7r, 7v, 9r, 16v, 41r)
Brown leather binding.
Provenance and Acquisition
Censors' signatures: "[...]" (fol. 55v); "Fr[a] Hipp[olitu]s 1601"; Latin inscription on fol. 58v: "Ioannis Prot(?)" (fol. 59v)
Edward Pococke's collection of oriental MSS (mostly Armenian, Hebrew and Arabic) was purchased by the Library for £800 in 1692 (see Summary Catalogue, vol. II, p. 1008).
Digital Bodleian (full digital facsimile)
MSS R.R. Film No. F 22149